Friday, July 30, 2010

Back to the Grindr


Guess who's all up on Grindr. Rarr... That's right. Yours truly. And I'm only 0 feet away. Now if you don't know what Grindr is than you're probably not a gay man with an iPhone. And for those of you who aren't that lucky, its basically an app that makes it really easy for men to hook up (how ever you might want to define that) with other men who are near by. Yup, it tells you how close you are and if they're cut or uncut. Download it. Have fun. Its another great way to once again see everyone you already see at the three bars you frequent.

Anyway, when I first got Grindr. My name was like Tony! Toni! Toné! and I probably had an artsy pic up or something. Didn't chat with anyone. And shyly checked for cuties in my proximity, in the safe corners of the light-rail metro cars. So I got bored and deleted the thing.

But just recently, and in the midst of this whole GayTravel.com promotional e-tour extravaganza, I've found myself thinking outside of  la caja a little bit, with new ways to put my work out there. Or at least my name. My stats? My ISOs?

So I re-downloaded Grindr and threw my pic up, used my real name and even linked it to my facebook. Man, I wouldn't think I would do something like that even two weeks ago. I'm like, you know, pretty all up in yo face most of the time. But there's definitely an irritating conservative streak in my M.O. that keeps me from doing things like, say, meeting guys on apps specifically designed for hot and immediate NSA sex with neighbors. So when I do do something like this, I feel, like I've grown.

Now, you know those men who say they read the articles in Playboy? Well, I just might believe them because that's kinda how I feel about my relationship with Grindr. You see, after I set up my account all pretty like, my iPhone crapped out on me and I had to replace it, along with my Grindr app and all of my local, little favorites. But the cool thing was that when I re-re-downloaded, I didn't mark my location, so boom, all of a sudden I was connected to men from all over the world. I'm talking Brazil, France, Barcelona, Australia, China, Israel, Hawaii, my home state Cali, Colorado, and I even got a shout out from a New York friend in Istanbul. What can I say? I love meeting people from all around the world, especially men. But, I'm not going to lie, the torso pics are also fun.

An international gay men's hub, right there in yellow and black and in the palm of my hands. Makes you want to reach out and touch someone. But the beauty of having Grindr friends from far, far away, is that you don't have to. Touch 'em that is; unless you really want to I guess. But for me, for now, I just talk to them. Ask them questions. Make lame jokes until they block me. Ask them when they came out. Or why they haven't. Where they like to go out. Are they monogamous? Do they have a wife? A girl friend? A boyfriend? No friends at all? A face pic? I ask them what they do for a living and what they want to do. And these guys tell me. They just spill it. And I do too, right back at them, all over their faces, and maybe even more than once. Why not, I'm a blogger after all. And these are just men, gay men, bi, str8, curious, discreet and loud and proud men who when it comes down to it really just want to connect. Just like I do.

I wonder if there is a Grindr out there for just people? Latino queer boy here... looking.

1 comment: