Thursday, September 23, 2010

Dear Hypstercrite

This was actually a comment I wrote on Hipstercrite, in response to her post Self-promotion and Blogger. After I finished reading it, I figured, it might as well be a goddamn post. That's her right there. I know, I'd totally love to be seen with her too. But she's also great writer and clearly knows her way around bloggerlandia. So I thought I'd hit her up for some advice. If you guys have any words of wisdom or suggestions for what you'd like to see on Blogaldo, spit it right down there in the comment box for me me will ya. Don't forget to check out her blog. You shant regret it. And without further ado:



I got over feeling self-conscious about self-promoting a long time ago. More because I found myself doing it in every day conversation anyway. So I started doing it online. I never hated twitter, but I never got it either. It wasn't until I started competing for an online writing gig (which I didn't get) that I started realizing how helpful it is. 

I feel you on taking 30 minutes to construct the perfect status update for FB, but man when I was on twitter a lot more, I didn't give a flying fancy how many times people saw my annoying tweets about voting for me, or checking out my blog or adding me on so and so. I didn't that is, until I started annoying myself. You are very right, these things have to be calculated properly for a better return. 

I have a question for you. Now maybe this is something I missed along the way because you've been blogging a lot longer than I've been following, but, how exactly did you get so, famous if you will? I mean duh, the content is great no doubt, that's why I come back, but in terms of the networking and the self-promoting... was it all by accident? a little more thought out? At what point did you feel like you, took off?

My own readership boomed for a while just cause I started to get to know a lot of local Phoenicians who are down to support an artist. And I even got some publicity on some local publications. But I truly had no idea how to celebrate it and use it to my advantage. I kinda silently freaked out to be honest. Lately, I'm wallowing in some sort of blog limbo (and maybe a little laziness too). My content is suffering for it. I have so many ideas in my head, which I'm sure you are familiar with, but when it comes to sitting behind the keyboard and busting out a quick post, I don't ever feel like its me anymore. Do I write about my personal adventures? Pop culture? Cats? Like, my blog needs a facelift. A resurrection. A new direction. A certain... je ne se quoi. Yes, I went there. 

For some reason I feel like ending this with a Savage Love-esque acronym. 

Desparately Unsure Guy All Like Duh... Oh.

8 comments:

  1. this may be the most epic post ive read in a while. twitter definitely helps for self promoting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Am I allowed to help or put my two cents in or is this strictly a post for hipstercrite?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Paige epic?! I'll take it. Thanks

    @thetitanproject I could use all the cents you got. This is for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. um hang on Gay Cowboy bar? You sound like my ideal friend! I need you in my life can I pay you to come serve me cocktails in a cowboy getup?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yee ha! I reckon I'd like that very much. Where you at anyway missy?

    ReplyDelete
  6. UK and i see you are the other side of the world! BOO! I want to visit gay cowboy bars, i'm going to NY in jan recommend anywhere fun?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh UK? I like you even better now. =) I know some places. Let me think about that and get back to you. I have to run along to that gay cowboy bar now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I got a little less than 1,000 views my first two weeks. But damn did I work it! I remember those nights where I was wondering how to get above 20 views a day. Those days sucked for my confidence. There's a easy way to get 200 views in one day, but the harder thing is actually getting them to stay. I just started my blog. What you might want to have up your sleeve are internet marketing website tools like Digg and a few others.

    When you get the chance to sign up for a digg account you should add me as a friend. It's hard to make friends on digg and crucial if you want to optimize your results. There are specific ways to get around it. There's that site and a few others which will spike your readership. But there's a lot of really cool stuff that will get people to read your blog. Really easy things. I've been doing a lot of experimenting with the blogosphere since I've only been blogging for 2 weeks.

    If you want any other tips that teach you how to get traffic, you could add me on facebook or leave me a comment on my blog. I'd much prefer to talk to people on facebook as it's much easier to ask questions and give answers.

    My facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/people/Jonathan-Manor/100001499095580

    My digg account:
    http://digg.com/bricona

    This goes for anyone you know that needs to get traffic. Everything works a lot better if you know people who are doing the same thing. If a bunch of people get on digg together, it's a lot easier to work it instead of spending months trying to build a rep for one person. Get an account, tell your followers, and we should all be buddies.

    Hope this helps! Send me a comment if it doesn't.

    ReplyDelete